Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Boston Marathon Survivor Celeste Corcoran Runs On Prosthetic Legs For First Time...



BOSTON —She is Boston Strong and Corcoran Strong. Marathon survivor Celeste Corcoran, who lost her legs in the April 2013 blast, is making amazing strides.
"I was never a runner. I hated running," she said.
Corcoran is now running for the first time since losing both her lower legs in the marathon bombings.
"I feel myself getting stronger and more and more steady," she said.
Corcoran has just returned from Prosthetic and Orthotic Associates in Orlando, Fla., where they fitted her with new prosthetic sockets and running blades. 
She first trained with a gait strap and then ran on her own in just two days.
"The first time I did it myself I kept saying to myself, 'I can't believe I just did that. I can't believe I just did that. I just did that myself,'" she said.
She credits her family, including daughter, Sydney, who was nearly killed in the bombings, with giving her the strength to take on new challenges.
"It's believing in yourself and not giving up and having that hope -- taking help when it's offered. Not giving up with each small failure," she said. "You can dig down deep and find that strength and will. I want to have the best life I can possibly have."

No comments:

Post a Comment