Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A new beginning and a new lifelong partner for Boston Marathon survivor James Costello...



BOSTON - Out of the tragedy of the Boston Marathon bombings came a heartwarming relationship between a man and the nurse he met while recovering from his injuries.
James Costello was near the finish line of the Boston Marathon with friends on April 15 when a bomb blast burned his right arm and leg so badly he needed skin grafts to repair the damage.
"As you all know, April 15th was one of the worst days of my life, suffering not only physical injuries of my own but emotional difficulties when I learned about my friends. I soon wondered why and for what reason this had happened," Costello posted on his Facebook page.
According to HLN affiliate WCVB, three of Costello's friends lost legs and others suffered burns and shrapnel injuries from the bomb explosion. The Malden, Massachusetts, artist spent two weeks in Massachusetts General Hospital before being transferred to Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.
"A few days later I saw a nurse in passing, this would turn out to be Krista," Costello posted on Facebook. Krista is Krista D'Agostino, a nurse at the hospital who had friends in common with Costello but had never met him before.
"After sharing a handful of conversations I realized not only how beautiful she was but also what a kind heart she had," Costello posted.
Costello and D'Agostino went to the "Boston Bites Back" benefit on their first date.
"I somehow convinced her to attend a benefit with me, which turned into a few dates, which turned into a few inseparable months," Costello posted.
WCVB reports that Costello and D'Agostino are spending part of the month of December in Europe with other victims and first responders on an all-expenses-paid "Heroes Cruise."
"I now realized why I was involved in the tragedy, it was to meet my best friend, and the love of my life. Eight months later I'm happy to announce that we will spend the rest of our lives together," Costello posted.
The survivor and his nurse fiancee got engaged in the French city of Lyon. Costello posted a picture of D'Agostino modeling her engagement ring, a picture-perfect end to a tragic beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment