Thursday, May 15, 2014

Photo finish as twin carries her sister across the finish line...


There was a photo finish at a junior high school track meet in Illinois over the weekend as two runners crossed the line at almost the same time -- but they weren't battling for first and second place.
They were coming in dead last, for the best reason possible.
Twin sisters Chloe and Claire Gruenke, 13, had been competing in the 800-meter race at the Southern Illinois State Track Meet when Chloe felt something pop and went down.
"I thought oh my goodness what just happened," Claire told KSDK.com. "I went up to her and I said 'Chloe are you okay?' and she was like 'I don't know. Something just pulled in my leg.'"
Claire didn't call for help, nor did she wish her sister better luck next time and run off to finish the race. She did something else entirely.
"I put her on my back, and then I started to jog. I got really tired, so I walked the rest and the crowd was just blaring in my ears. That gave me energy to at least finish it," Claire told the station.
Photos of Claire carrying Chloe went viral on social media this week:
Just before the finish line, Claire put her injured sister down and told her to cross first, but Chloe wasn't going to let that happen. Instead, they crossed at the same time.
"They didn't win the race, but they won the hearts of everyone in the audience," their coach, Ted Crail, said, according to the Associated Press. "I've been coaching for 20 years. This was the first time I ever had tears in my eyes at one of the meets."
The two finished last, but they've proven that sports is about more than just where you finish.
“It's about showing compassion, love and sportsmanship, even if you lose and help somebody it's still worth it," Claire told KTVI.

No comments:

Post a Comment