Thursday, February 27, 2014

After serious car crash teenager Emma Kiefer gets practice prom...




SHE'S MADE A LOTTA, LOTTA PROGRESS AND WORKED VERY HARD TO GET HERE. The last time we shared her story, Emma Kiefer was in a medically induced coma. The high school senior from Webster County was in a bad car crash back in October. She had broken bones and was missing most of her senior year. A lot has changed in three months. KIEFER'S COMA STRETCHED ON FOR WEEKS. EVEN WHEN SHE WAS MOVED TO 'ON WITH LIFE' FOR REHAB, SHE COULDN'T SPEAK, WALK OR EAT. She's definitely a different girl today. JUST 53 DAYS AFTER HER FIRST STEPS, EMMA'S THE ONE PUSHING A RACK OF CHAIRS. CREDIT THE THERAPY THAT WASN'T FUN. I don't want to even go to this but I just, it just helps me get out of here faster so I put that in my mind and then go and do it. BUT RECOVERING FROM TRAUMA IS MORE THAN JUST PHYSICAL. We know after brain injury, a lot of times we see people get overwhelmed, overstimulated. ESPECIALLY IN CROWDS. SO WHEN IT LOOKED LIKE SHE MIGHT GO HOME BEFORE HER PROM? I like asked my parents who I should ask and my dad called me 'boy crazy'. EMMA'S THERAPISTS DECIDED TO WORK SOME DANCE MOVES INTO THEIR THERAPY - Left, right or something. AND THEN TAKE IT UP A NOTCH. SATURDAY NIGHT, EMMA'S GONNA BREAK OUT HER NEW PINK GOWN-- With sparklies. AND A PAIR OF SPARKLING COWBOY BOOTS SHE INSISTED ON WEARING - FOR A PRACTICE PROM SHE'S PUMPED ABOUT. Just having fun. Because all my friends will probably show up so it'll be a good time. SHE DOESN'T KNOW IT, BUT PLACING EVERY DECORATION, SETTING EVERY CHAIR AND PRACTICING EVERY MOVE IS THERAPY... FOR THE TEENAGER WHO SPENT WEEKS OF HER SENIOR YEAR IN A COMA. She has come a long ways. When she came here, she was in a wheelchair, couldn't stand up and now she's dancing. IN THOSE SPARKLING BOOTS. They're expecting about 30 or 40 friends at Emma's practice prom tomorrow night at 'On with Life'. She plans to be back in school several weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment