Thursday, January 16, 2014

Empowering and Inspirational...ABC's Amy Robach Cut Her Hair to ‘Take Control’ During Chemotherapy...


By Amy Robach | Good Morning America
With two rounds of chemotherapy under her belt to treat the breast cancer that was discovered in October, ABC News' Amy Robach today opened up on "GMA" about the step she took to feel "empowered" in her fight against the disease.
Photo Credit: ABC/Lou RoccoWhen I first sat down with my oncologist the day before Thanksgiving and she told me I would need 8 rounds of chemo, one of my first questions admittedly was: will I lose my hair?
It sounds shallow I know, but it was a very scary image to me.  Having cancer is one thing, LOOKING like you have cancer is another thing. It’s a disease that already takes so much. 
My doctor told me every patient is different, and because I’m young and had a good head of hair, I had a chance of keeping some of it, but she warned me what remains will be thin, dry and brittle.  And so after two rounds of chemo, I’ve started to notice, slowly, but surely, my hair has started to appear more regularly in my shower drain, sink drain, pillowcase and comb.
Waiting and watching my hair fall out made me once again feel so powerless and so I decided to take control.  I made my appointment and then after receiving so many letters, cards, emails and tweets from women who were in my exact same position, I decided to record the cut.

I wanted other women to know they are not alone.  I wanted my sisters to know that being brave is the only way to live with cancer… and today I feel powerful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment